Boone History Museums engage individuals and communities in the discovery of history and the arts, and offer culturally significant facilities with the intention of building community and creating conversations to better understand the past, present, and future, related to the people, places, and artifacts of Central Iowa.
We envision Central Iowa as a welcoming and imaginative learning environment that fosters community through history and the arts.
Board of Directors
Shirley Walrod-Vice President
John Stephenson-Interim Treasurer
Linda R. Blakely-Director At Large
Board Meetings are held quarterly in January, April, July and October and are open to the public.
Special Meetings and the Annual Membership Meeting are open to members only.
Next Board Meeting:
May 22, 2019
6:00 pm at the lower level of the History Center
This is a Special Meeting. All Members are welcome.
709 Carroll Street, Boone, IA | 515-432-1907
The museum is currently closed for the season.
Mamie Geneva Doud was born November 14, 1896 at 718 Carroll Street in Boone, the second of four daughters born to Elivera Mathilde Carlson and John Sheldon Doud. She grew up to become the wife of the 34th president of the United States, Dwight David Eisenhower.
While Mamie was still an infant, the Douds moved from Boone to Cedar Rapids. In 1905, after making a fortune in the meat packing industry, Doud moved his family to Colorado where they eventually settled in Denver. However, Mamie never lost contact with her mother’s Boone family, the Carlsons. Throughout the 1940s to the 60s, the Eisenhowers regularly visited Boone. After Ike’s death in 1969, Mamie continued to return to Boone making her last trip in 1977, two years before her death.
Over the years, the Birthplace was inhabited by many families, at one time housing three individual apartments. By 1970 it was in danger of being demolished, so over the next few years, concerned citizens raised sufficient funds to purchase the house from its owner, the First Baptist Church, and in 1975 it was moved across the street. Following five years of restoration, the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace opened on June 22, 1980.
The restored house contains many Eisenhower and Carlson family heirlooms. A detached summer kitchen and carriage house also are located on the property. The carriage house, erected in 1982, contains the Chrysler Windsor Sedan given to the Carlsons by the Eisenhowers in 1948 and Mamie’s 1962 Plymouth Valiant. A commemorative marker was placed at the Birthplace by the DeShon Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1954.