County Rd E41 & J Ave | Ogden, IA
By Appointment Only
Adults $5 | Youth $2 | Children 6 & under Free
Once again school bells ring at the Hickory Grove School. After more than five years of restoration at its new site on the grounds of the Battin Chapel, juncture of old Highway 30 (E 41) and J Avenue between Ogden and Boone, the school has reopened.
The school, originally built in 1889 in the northeastern corner of Yell Township, allows visitors to sit in desks once occupied by school children, peruse books they read, and see the school house’s potbelly stove. The building’s furnishings span the history of its 77 years. It finally closed its doors on May 11, 1956. Slates, historic maps and globes, teacher’s tools and many textbooks, encyclopedias, children’s books and other school memorabilia are contained in the collection displayed within the building.
The museum was formerly located at Don Williams Recreation Area, but was moved in late 2006 to the site of the Battin Chapel, which contains a well-preserved railroad depot in addition to the chapel and school. The Boone County Historical Society and the Battin Heritage Association jointly sponsor the museum.